I love cooking with grains especially because they make meals more filling and give them texture.
Spice Kitchen kindly sent me a well-known Moroccan spice called Ras El Hanout to try out. It consists of cumin, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper and cardamon. The flavours have depth and work really well together. Perfect if you do not want something with heat.
Recipe for Moroccan Chicken with Pearl Couscous (Serves 2)
- 2 chicken fillets
- 100 grams pearl couscous
- handful of green beans cut into little pieces
- small chopped red onion
- 2 little peppers cut into small cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoon Spice Kitchen Ras El Hanout
- feta cheese
- lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- rapeseed oil
- Cut chicken into cubes (the smaller the better) and marinate with salt, pepper and ras el hanout. You can add a drizzle of olive oil to the marinade just so it mixes well. Leave for at least 30 minutes
- Cook the pearl couscous as per the instructions on the pack.
- In a pan heat a tablespoon of oil. One hot add the garlic and straight after the chopped onions. Let this cook until the onions are golden brown. Check the onions do not burn.
- Add green beans to the pan and let it cook for 5 minutes before adding the peppers. Give the mixture a good stir and a minute later add the cooked couscous. Squeeze in juice of 1/4 lemon and add salt & pepper to taste. Stir the dish well and let it cook on a very low heat.
- In a separate pan heat two tablespoons of oil. Once hot, add the chicken and cook until done. Keep turning it so it does cook evenly and flavours get mixed in.
- On a plate put some couscous first then top it with chicken. Now crumble some feta cheese on the top. The dish is ready to be served.
Unless I am baking, I do not measure my ingredients. I tend to taste and season as I go along. This is something I am working on so future recipes are more accurate.
If you need any more information on this dish let me know.
Take a look at Spice Kitchen for a full range of their award winning artisan tea and spice blends.
Enjoy & Happy Cooking