Buckwheat pancakes are becoming a trend so I decided to try them out and see what the fuss is all about. This was the recipe from All Recipes but swapped the buttermilk and added cinnamon.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 milk (You can use buttermilk but I did not have any)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- butter for the pan
- Whisk buckwheat flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and baking soda together in a bowl.
- Beat milk, egg, and vanilla extract together in another bowl. Pour flour mixture into milk mixture; whisk until batter is thick and smooth. Leave the batter to set for about 15 minutes.
- Melt butter on a pan over medium heat. Drop batter using a large spoon and quickly spread. Cook until bubbles form and the edges start to dry then flip and cook for another couple of minutes or until they are brown.
The pancakes turned out nice and soft. They were flavoursome, texture was perfect and I found them tasty but my husband said they were OK ; He said they tasted healthy (which they are?)
Toppings..Homemade Nutella & Strawberries
To go with the pancakes I sliced some strawberries and made some homemade Nutella by Deliciously Ella .
It is so simple and you only need three ingredients; hazelnuts, maple syrup & raw cacao powder. I did not get it as smooth as Ella’s but it tasted delicious.
I made the pancakes a big bigger so the whole “stacking” and taking beautiful photos did not quite work but I guess this was not bad for a first attempt right? Also I needed to create an edible stack that I was not going to waste.
Do you love pancakes? What is your favorite type?
Its cheerio for now..