Charlotte Street in Fitzrovia has a great new addition. 1947 London, the Modern Indian Restaurant has not long opened and is here to offer you that scrumptious meal in a beautiful surrounding.
1947 London “honours the power of food to bind people across generations and cultures past and present” (quote from the menu).
Environment & Service
You have the option to sit in a cosy booth or a more formal table. If you prefer a drink there is a nice bar area however be warned the aromas of the food will tempt you to have a meal too. They have an open kitchen and if you pick your table well you can watch the chef cook away.
The set up makes 1947 London ideal for any type of occasion, whether it be a casual lunch, a cosy family dinner or date night.
I was there for an event and the staff were patient and knowledgeable when dealing with the group (despite us all being too busy networking away and forgetting to order our food). They paced the meal well and were aware of our progress. Staff were all confident and made customers feel valued and welcome.
1947 has a bar area where you can enjoy cocktails & mocktails crafted by the amazing bartenders. The restaurant also has a carefully curated wine list. I am more of a cocktail girl so I stuck to what I knew in the evening.
They have a creative cocktail list (yes imagine an espresso martini but with masala chai & a boozy lassi) . They also have the classics along with a great mocktail list.
On the evening I enjoyed a Hello Lassi, Lychee Martini & a Passion Fruit Mojito (mocktail). They were all made to perfection.
Chef Krishna Negi (renowned for working at Tangawizi & Michelin-starred Vineet Bhatiahas) has created a menu that brings together the best Indian flavours to give you that perfect culinary experience.
- 1947 Avocado Bombay Bhel: The rice puffs were crispy and the tangy sauce that combined the Bhel was mouth watering. The added twist of avocado and pomegranate to the Bhel was just amazing.
- Asparagus, Corn & Coconut Samosa: The combination of ingredients was fantastic in these samosas. They were bite-sized too which made eating them so much easier
- Wild mushroom Tikki & Chickpea Masala: The wild mushroom worked so well on this dish and made a nice change to potatoes. The taste of the masala and the sweetened yoghurt was a perfect combination.
- Crispy Cheese Kebabs: Spring rolls filled with lamb sheesh kebab and masala cheese, this was so delicious. The textures were perfect and the flavours went well.
- Mustard Chicken Tikka: Succulent pieces of chicken infused with curry leaves and mustard seeds, drizzled with some coriander chutney made this dish enjoyable.
- Grilled lamb chops: Made with Kashmiri chilli, the chops were perfectly cooked and finished off. They had a delicious char flavour to them too.
- 1947 Maharaja Prawns: There is a reason they have 1947 in front of some of their dishes. They are so unique and mouth watering they need to be tried. The prawns were juicy and the balance of spices was perfect
- 1947 Home Smoked Tandoori Salmon: Grilled salmon with cloves & cardamons served with sweet mustard & honey chutney, the salmon was another hit.
I missed the Dum Biryani & Desserts too however I will be returning and will update you on this. For now here are some photos courtesy of 1947 London.
To sum up, 1947 London is the place to go for that amazing yet affordable dining experience. Located just off Charlotte Street, it is one not to miss.
For bookings and more information check our their website: https://www.1947london.com
Address: 33 Charlotte Street, Fitzrovia, London W1T 1RR
Tel: 020 7693 6290
Disclaimer: I was invited along with a group of influencers to try out the dining experience at 1947 London. All views and photos (unless stated) are my own.