The Case Restaurant and Champagne Bar, has been around since 1990. In this light-filled venue, originally a luggage factory, you can expect stylish interior, high ceilings, and tall windows.
The Case Restaurant serves seasonal modern British food with a global twist. Like many restaurants, this has been on my list for a while. I am not sure why I waited so long to pay them a visit.
Ambiance & Service
The restaurant has a warm ambiance. The light from the tall windows makes the environment fresh and welcoming. The decor is simple yet stylish and does give the restaurant an elegant feel.
The staff are friendly and helpful. They are knowledgeable too and happy to help with menu choices. I went on one occasion with my sister and the manager helped with carrying the pram up to the restaurant. I am unsure about the disability access ,however they are very accommodating and I believe you can dine at the bar if you cannot get to the restaurant.
Not only does the restaurant serve great food, but it also serves it at great value too. Set Menus at lunchtime start at £14 and in the evening £16. Here are some of the dishes I have had at the restaurant.
- Cajun-spiced sous vide chicken leg, bacon, caesar emulsion, parmesan, croute: The presentation says it all. Each element of the dish was made with care and the flavours were great and carefully put together.
- Smoked ham hock croquette, apple, coriander herb emulsion & toasted walnuts: The ham hock just melted away in my mouth. The herb emulsion was a perfect pair with the dish and walnuts added to the texture.
- Mixed Fish & Shellfish Bouillabaise: The dish had a great selection of fish including salmon. The bouillabaise was the right consistency and full of flavour. My 18-month nephew enjoyed it too. It must be the beautiful flavours of the stock.
- Chicken supreme, pea a la francaise and wild mushroom cream: The chicken was succulent and perfectly cooked. Served with a flavoured wild mushroom sauce the main was a treat.
- Braised Venison Haunch, Buttered mash, spinach, red cabbage puree & red currant jus: This dish was just autumn on a plate. Comforting, rich and full of flavour. The venison just fell apart and was so beautiful
- Chicken goujons, fries, and seasonal vegetables. This was the kid’s meal. The portion size was generous and my nephew loved it. The chicken was perfectly cooked and seasoned.
- Glazed Pumpkin Cake, candied pumpkin seeds, pumpkin crisp, pumpkin gel & pumpkin sorbet: I have to admit this was not the best dessert I have had. It cake lacked flavour but all the other components were delicious and the textures worked well together.
The Case is a lovely restaurant that I would recommend. The food is seasonal, freshly prepared and beautifully presented. The staff are always helpful and the ambiance is perfect for that romantic meal or social lunch or dinner. With the set menu’s I do not think you need an excuse really.