Blueberry, Buckwheat & Buttermilk Pancakes
My love for buckwheat has grown over the years. I remember my first batch of pancakes turned out dry however now I have a brilliant recipe for some fluffy melt in your mouth pancakes.
The added bonus is these pancakes are Gluten Free and they have blueberries in them (so must count as one of your five a day right)? The pancakes are best eaten fresh.
Adding the blueberries after you start cooking the pancake is the key to ensuring your pancakes don’t turn into a blueberry mess (something I only learnt listened).
Ingredients for 5 fluffy pancakes
1 cup buckwheat
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp melted butter
- Whisk together buttermilk, egg and melted butter
- In a separate bowl sift all the other ingredients (first six)
- Fold in the wet mixture into the dry one. Use a spatula or wooden spoon. Do not over mix. You just need to combine the ingredients and then stop. The mixture doesn’t need tone smooth, lumpy is fine.
- Melt a bit of butter in a hot pan then dollop a big spoonful of the mixture. It will spread on its own.
- Place some blueberries on the pancake
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, until you can see little holes develop on the top. Most of the cooking gets done at this stage.
- Turn and cook for another minute or so.
- Serve with maple syrup and fruit. I actually ate the first one with nothing on (that is how soft and moreish they are).
Are you a pancake fan? Why not try these out?