This Crepe Love Letter Recipe is A Sweet Symphony of Chocolate Crepes, Cream, and Raspberries. It is a perfect idea for Valentines day and Pancake Day.
These chocolate crepes are filled with raspberries and cream and made into an envelopes, before being sealed with a chocolate heart.
These chocolate crepes are not just a treat for your taste buds but are a show stopping dessert idea.
Crepe Love Envelopes
Ingredients for crepes
- 2 eggs
- 25 g sugar granulated or caster
- 200 g milk
- 65 g plain flour
- 15 g butter melted and cooled
- 25 g cocoa powder
- Butter for cooking
Ingredients for chocolate heart
- 25 g white chocolate
- red food coloring colour mill
Ingredients for filling
- Whipped cream
- Raspberries cut in half
Method for the Batter:
- Whisk eggs and sugar until creamy.
- Add melted butter and mix.
- Sift in cocoa powder and flour, whisk until incorporated.
- Pour in the milk, give it a final mix, cover, and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Method for Red Chocolate Hearts:
- Melt white chocolate in the microwave, checking every 15 seconds. Once melted add in red food colouring.
- Pour into heart-shaped moulds or shape onto greaseproof paper.
- Set in the fridge for approximately 30 minutes or expedite in the freezer for 5 minutes.
Method for Pancakes:
- Heat a crepe pan over medium heat.
- Lightly butter the pan using a paper towel to soak up excess.
- Ladle batter onto the pan, ensuring a thin, equal layer. Using the handle tilt the pan to help the batter spread all over the pan equally.
- Cook until the surface is set (around 30 seconds), then flip and finish cooking.
- Repeat until all the batter is used.
- Place a crepe on a plate, filling the preferred side. I prefer the look of the envelope by filling the top of the pancake ( the first side you poured and flipped).
- Pipe whipped cream in a rectangle in the middle of the crepe then, add chopped raspberries on top.
- Fold the bottom and sides, then fold the top to form an envelope.
- Finish with a red heart and optional raspberries dusted with icing sugar.
- The key to making these chocolate crepes is letting the batter rest to hydrate and thicken it
- Avoid greasy crepes and butter the pan lightly. My tip is to spread a little butter on the pan and using a paper towel soak up the excess.
- Don’t flip the crepes too soon – wait for the edges to curl up then flip it and cook on the other side
- My pan size was 25 cm and this batter made 6 pancakes. This is a good size to make an envelope with
- Colour Mill food colouring is oil based and works great with chocolate. You only need a little bit too. This is for the red chocolate hearts
- Use good cocoa powder to get that deep chocolate colour and taste
Alternative Fillings: Instead of cream you can spread Nutella or melted Belgian chocolate in the middle and layer it with some chopped bananas before making the envelope. Don’t like raspberries – swap it for chopped strawberries.
Enjoyed making these Chocolate Crepe Love Letter> Want more Valentines recipes? How about this easy Raspberry & Cream Puffs.