Are you ready to elevate your festive gatherings with an appetizers that are both elegant and irresistible? Here are two Christmas party food ideas with Comté Cheese that will tingle those taste bubs. Thyme Mushroom & Comte Crostinis and Sage, Chestnuts & Cranberry sausage rolls.
Irresistible Thyme Mushroom & Comté Crostinis:
These delectable canapés strike the perfect balance of flavours and are surprisingly easy to whip up, ensuring your guests will be asking for seconds (and possibly thirds).
- One baguette, sliced
- 100 grams grated Comté cheese
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 300 grams sliced chestnut mushrooms
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 3-4 sprigs of thyme
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pickled onions (recipe after method)
1. Prepare the Mushrooms: Heat 1 teaspoon of oil with 1 teaspoon of butter in a pan. Add crushed garlic and cook for about a minute on low heat. Then, introduce the sliced mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the thyme sprigs and allow the mushrooms to cook until all the released moisture evaporates, intensifying their flavour.
2. Toast the Baguette Slices: While your mushrooms are cooking, lay your sliced baguette on a lined baking tray. Drizzle olive oil on one side and grill until toasted. Flip the slices over and generously layer grated Comté cheese on top. Place them back under the grill to melt the cheese. Be mindful of using a lower grill setting to avoid burning the cheese while ensuring the bread toasts perfectly.
3. Assemble the Crostinis: Once the crostinis are golden and cheesy, top them with a teaspoon of the prepared mushrooms. Add a touch of tanginess with pickled onions, sprinkle more thyme leaves, and a bit of Comté for that final burst of flavour.
Pickled Onion Recipe:
For the pickled onions, thinly slice a red onion and place it in a heatproof jar or bowl. Boil a mixture of 1/4 cup water, white vinegar, and Szechuan peppercorns. Pour this flavourful liquid over the onions and let it cool before storing in the fridge. These pickled onions will delight your taste buds and can be enjoyed within two weeks.
These Thyme Mushroom & Comté Crostinis make for an elegant addition to any gathering. What’s even better is that they can be prepared in advance, allowing you to spend more time enjoying the festivities with your loved ones.
Sage, Chestnuts, Cranberry & Comté Sausage Rolls:
These homemade delicacies bring together a harmonious blend of festive flavours wrapped in a crispy, buttery puff pastry. Another great Christmas party food idea.
- 300g Sausage Meat
- 50g Chestnuts
- 10 Leaves Sage (finely chopped)
- 100g Grated Comté
- Ground Pepper
- 320g Puff Pastry
- 2 tbsps Cranberry Sauce
- 1 Beaten Egg
- Nigella Seeds
1. Prepare the Filling: In a large bowl, combine the sausage meat, chestnuts, finely chopped sage, grated Comté, and ground pepper. Ensure thorough mixing to create a flavoursome filling.
2. Prep the Puff Pastry: Roll out the chilled puff pastry and cut it in half. Spread 1 tbsp of cranberry sauce along the middle of each half.
3. Assemble the Rolls:Divide the sausage mix into two portions and shape them into long logs to place on top of each puff pastry half, over the cranberry sauce.
4. Roll and Seal: Brush egg wash around the pastry and roll the pastry to form long sausage rolls. Repeat the process for the other half.
5. Cut and Chill: Slice each rolled portion into halves and then into thirds, resulting in 12 equally sized sausage rolls. Place them on a lined baking tray and chill for 15 minutes.
6. Prepare for Baking: Remove the rolls from the fridge, make two cuts in the middle of each roll using scissors, brush them with the egg wash, and sprinkle nigella seeds for added flavour and visual appeal.
7. Bake to Perfection: Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and bake the sausage rolls for 25-30 minutes until they achieve a beautiful golden brown colour.
Once these delectable Sage, Chestnuts, Cranberry & Comté Sausage Rolls emerge from the oven, the aroma alone will beckon everyone to indulge. Serve them fresh and warm for a divine experience that perfectly encapsulates the joy of the festive season. Love sausage rolls? Here are some others you can try at home.
Enjoy the joyous festivities with these scrumptious homemade party food ideas.
AD: I partnered with Comte to create some recipes however there was no obligation to write this post.