Want to get crafty in the kitchen? Why not make these delicious Vegan Pumpkin Gnocchi.
It is the perfect season to indulge in hearty, comforting meals. These Vegan Pumpkin Gnocchi are soft bites of goodness, adorned with a delightful pumpkin impression, are not only visually appealing but also flavourful.
Pumpkin purée does not have much flavour so seasoning is important. Sage pairs perfectly with it.
For Gnocchi (creates about 40 pumpkins):
- 210 grams plain flour
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup mashed potato
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Pumpkin seeds
- Dairy-free butter or ghee
- Fresh sage leaves
- Prepare the Gnocchi Dough: Begin by combining your mashed potato, pumpkin purée, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl.
- Incorporate the Flour: Gradually add the plain flour to the mixture. The exact amount may vary depending on the moisture content of your pumpkin purée and mashed potato. Keep adding flour until the dough comes together.
- Knead the Dough: Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it until it forms a smooth, slightly sticky ball.
- Roll Out the Dough: Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1 cm. If the dough becomes too sticky, lightly dust it with flour to prevent sticking. Dust your rolling pin too.
- Cut and Shape: Cut the rolled-out dough into rectangles roughly measuring 2×1 cm. Dip these rectangles into flour and shape them into round balls.
- Create Pumpkin Impression: Using a sharp paring knife, gently make indents on each ball to create the appearance of a pumpkin. To make cutting easier, sprinkle the knife with flour.
Begin with a cross shape, being careful not to cut too deep. Press down and up to form the indent without losing the pumpkin’s shape. Make 8 crosses. Place a pumpkin seed in the centre of each gnocchi and that’s your stalk.
- Prepare Sage Butter: In a pan, melt some dairy-free butter or ghee and add fresh sage leaves. Allow them to cook for a couple of minutes to infuse the flavours, then turn off the heat.
- Boil the Gnocchi: Boil a pot of water with salt and carefully add in the prepared gnocchi. Stir gently to avoid them from sticking. Once they start to float, usually within 3 minutes, then them cook for a further 30 seconds. Remove them using a slotted spoon. The gnocchi is more resilient that you think and will retain the shape.
- Pan Fry for Crispiness: Heat the pan with the sage butter and then transfer the boiled gnocchi it. Pan-fry them over medium heat until they become crispy and golden brown.
The soft, flavourful gnocchi paired with the aromatic sage butter creates a dish that’s both visually stunning and incredibly delicious. Whether you’re a vegan food enthusiast, want and egg free dish or just looking for autumn recipe inspiration, try out these delicious vegan pumpkin gnocchi and let me know what you think.
Want more pumpkin inspiration? Check out these recipes.