I love a good Scotch Egg and it is probably because it reminds me of one of my favorite childhood dishes, POTATO CHOPS. I remember many weekends sitting around with the family tucking into these delicious balls of mince, egg & potatoes. We used to have either with ketchup or green yogurt chutney.
I have never made them but during lockdown I gave them a go with my mums guidance and they went down a treat.
- 6 potatoes
- 1 tbls whole cumin
- 1 chopped red onion
- 250g lamb mince
- two handfuls chopped coriander
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 tsp crushed ginger
- 2 tsp crushed green chillies
- 1 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 3 large eggs for boiling plus 1 beaten one for dipping
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I used fresh)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
- Boil 5/6 potatoes with some salt
- Heat 2 tbs oil in a pan then add 1 tbs cumin and one chopped red onion. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add 1 tsp crushed garlic, 1 tsp crushed ginger and 1 tsp crushed chill and cook for 2 mins
- Add in 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp black pepper
- Add in all the minced lamb and cook for about 20/25 minutes (stirring occasionally) then switch off the pan and add a handful of chopped coriander
- Boil some eggs (I hard-boiled mine but you can soft boil)
- Once potatoes are boiled, peel and grate them
- Add in 1 tbsp ground cumin, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp crushed garlic, 1 tsp crushed ginger, 1 tsp crushed chillies,& chopped coriander
- Combine the potatoes and divide them into fist size balls
- Get ingredients ready to assemble
- Flatten out the potato ball
- Add half a boiled egg, 3 tablespoons minced meat and form a ball with the potato. The potato is flexible and allows you to combine
- Dip the ball in a beaten egg then in breadcrumbs
- Fry in a pan with heated oil (medium heat). I went in between deep and shallow fry
Have you ever tried these? It may take a couple of attempts to get the assembly correct but you will get there. You can swap the meat for a vegetarian soya mince.