Soft buns straight from the oven are hard to resist. Now imagine they are stuffed with your favourite filling. These pizza buns are filled with the same filling that we use for vegetarian samosas and they are so delicious.
To make them even more moreish I added in some sriracha sauce and parmesan cheese. They work a treat. You could make them more cheesy by adding a softer cheese or for those non vegetarians use a dry mince meat recipe.
The key is not to make your filling too wet/runny because it will only make your dough soft and harder to handle.
This is a family recipe that has been used for a while and the result is always rewarding. The bread is always pillowy and tastes like pizza when filled with this mixture. Don’t worry if it looks a bit dry – it is not!
8 Stuffed Pizza Buns Recipe
Ingredients or the Dough
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp yeast
- 230g plain flour
- 30g softened butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 beaten egg for brushing
- Sesame seeds and Parmesan to garnish
Method for the Dough
- Start by mixing the warm milk, sugar, and yeast. Let this sit for about 15 minutes until you see the yeast foaming
- In a bowl add your flour, butter, and salt. Rub the butter and combine the mixture. Then add in your yeast mix. Knead to form an elastic smooth dough. Takes about 15 minutes.
- Use a tiny amount of oil to cover the dough, cover and let this proof until double in size (about an hour)
Samosa Filling Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 small chopped red onion (need about 2 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp crushed green chillies
- 1/2 cup carrot
- 1 cup potatoes
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup sweetcorn
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 6 chopped spring onions
- Grated Parmesan (optional)
Samosa Filling Method
- Heat oil in a pan then add the cumin
- Now add in the onion and cook until translucent then adding in garlic, ginger, and chilli. Cook for a minute
- Add in your carrots, potatoes, peas, peppers, corn, and mix. Cook on low heat, ensuring it doesn’t still. Once the vegetables have all cooked switch it off.
- When the mixture has cooled down add in the Parmesan and spring onions
How to Assemble to stuffed pizza buns
- Once the dough has doubled in size, give it a quick light knead then form 8 balls of around 50 g each
- Lightly roll or flatten each one to about 10-12 cm and fill with 4-5 tsp of filling before adding on some sriracha sauce and a bit more Parmesan
- Lightly grease an oven proof dish with some oil
- Start to form a ball by lifting then pinching the end of the dough bit by bit, working your way around the circle until you form a ball. The dough is stretchy, and the weight of the filling will enable you to cover it. Ensure it is all sealed.
- Place the ball, neat side up on top.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle on some sesame seeds and Parmesan
- Bake at 180 Celsius for around 30 minutes. They should be golden.
They are delicious on their own however you can have a side salad with them to make them a meal. These are perfect for picnics too because they cant be enjoyed at room temperature. They are easy to eat and packed with flavour.
Have any questions? Drop me a message via my Social Media channels or through my Contact page.
Love Samosa’s? Check out my Open Baked Samosa Chaat recipe here.