This Japanese noodle soup is soo comforting. I made this version using of miso paste and vegetable stock.
The beauty of Ramen is you can add what you want, spice it up, make to creamy. I love them all. I went for one topped with crunchy broccoli, carrot roses and spiced crispy tofu & mushroom.
- 6 cups veg broth (1.5 cubes veg stock mixed with 6 cups of warm water)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1/4 cup miso paste
- 3 clove black garlic
- 1 inch grated garlic
- 3 tbsp bonito flakes (optional)
- Drizzle of chilli oil (optional)
MUSHROOM & TOFU
- Shiitake Mushrooms (150g)
- Tofu (one firm block)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp cornflour
- Spice mix (chilli & garlic powder)
- Sesame seeds
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2-4 tbsp water
- 2 packets of Japanese Ramen Noodles
- Pak Choi
- Tenderstem Broccoli (lightly steamed)
- Carrot roses
- Spring Onions (sliced long ways)
- Sesame Seeds
- Heat some sesame oil in a pan then add in garlic & ginger and lightly cook on low heat for 2 minutes
- Add in the rest of the ingredients apart from the stock/water and cook for about 5 minutes. To give it that oomph I also added some Bonito flakes. They are also great when you don’t have time to slow cook your broth
- Add in the stock/water and let this simmer gently for at least 30 minutes
- Add in the noodles and cook tor a further 5 minutes and switch off the heat to let them cook in the sauce.
- Add in Pak Choi too and mix to form this rich broth.
Mushroom & Tofu
- Remove excess water from the tofu by dabbing some kitchen towel on it
- Make the marinade then carefully mix over the tofu and mushrooms, keeping them separate. Marinate for at least 30 minutes
- Cook at 200 celsius for 45 minutes, turning half way
- Bring pan to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add in cold eggs (straight from the fridge). Ensure the water totally covers the eggs
- Runny egg yolk – 6 to 6 ½ minutes. Custard-like egg yolk but not runny – 8 to 9 minutes.
- Place them in iced water after this to stop them from cooking
- Carefullly take off shell off (remember they will still be soft) and then place in a bag with the soy sauce mixture. Let this marinate overnight if possible. If you only have an hour, reduce the water content,
Assemble the Ramen Bowl. First put the noodle soup in a bowl then decorate the top with the mushrooms, tofu, broccoli, carrots, spring onion and cut egg. Sprinkle some sesame seeds and slurp away.